I'm Running a Half Marathon!


       I've been running for a little while now, loving it more and more with each run. Its been a goal/dream of mine to run a marathon some day, but I figured I'd better start off with a half marathon first! 
                             I am running my first official half marathon in 10 days!!!!!


       I don't exactly remember what made me start running, but I'm so glad I did! Those early morning runs are the best! With each run, I fall more in love with it and can't wait to keep going!

     Since I've been running for a little bit, I figured it was time for an official race! I did Turkey Trot a few years ago, and really enjoyed it, so I am really looking forward to this next race!

       On April 29th, 2017, I am running the Nashville Rock n' Roll Half Marathon and I am so excited!!!!! As the day gets closer and closer, my excitement grows! I am also a little nervous, but I trust my training schedule and all I want to do is have fun with the race! I'm not going for a specific time or pace, I just want to finish and have fun in the process!


What I Have Learned (so far)- Training, Diet and Tips


I Changed My Running Schedule
    
      I started training for this race the beginning of this year. I already had a pretty high mileage-per-week going, so I felt like I had a pretty good running base.
      My typical runs were between 12-14 miles a day. I felt fine with that, but after ready training programs and talking with some fellow runners, I realized that that was too many miles for a half marathon training program. So, I switch things up!

Sunday-Rest
Monday-10 miles and Squats
Tuesday- 8 miles and Ab Workouts
Wednesday- 6 miles and Leg Workouts
Thursday- Some Other Form of Cardio ( Elliptical or HIIT Workouts)
Friday- 8 miles and Weights
Saturday- 11 to 13 miles and Lots of Stretching

     So this has been my basic running schedule. I switch things up as I need to. Some Mondays just aren't 10 mile days, so I do a lower mileage that day and work a 10 mile in on another day. I feel good with this schedule for now, but I plan to change it up again after the race!

I Needed More Sleep

     Another thing I learned was, I needed more sleep. When I was running super high mileage every day, I had to get up really early to fit it in my day. I didn't realize how taxing this was on me until I started sleeping in more. I now get 1.5 hours more sleep than I did before, and I feel so much better! I feel I can run and perform better in my workouts and am (usually) in a better mood during the day! And, since I have shorter runs, they don't get in the way of my day at all!

I Ate More....So Much More!

     Its kind of weird, but back when I was running 13+ miles a day, I wasn't as hungry all the time as you would think I'd be...but I also wasn't doing a ton of weight workouts. Now that I am doing more exercise other than running, as well as running, I am hungry a lot!
     I have added more healthy-fats into my diet, like nuts and seeds, nut butters and small amounts of olive and coconut oil. Carbs are still a large part of my diet, but I try and eat a balance of protein, fats and carbs as much as I can!
    
Hydration is Key

     I have said this so many times....but water is the most important part of a healthy diet and lifestyle. If you aren't drinking enough water, you are not going to look or feel your best!
    If you workout on a regular basis, you are sweating out a lot of fluid, which needs to be replaced. I tend to sweat a lot during my workouts, so I always make sure to drink lots of water during and after my workout.
     I also try and eat really hydrating foods after my workouts. My breakfasts are almost always very fruit-heavy, which is perfect for hydrating after a nights sleep and/or workout!

Take a Rest

     Its hard not to feel like you should train every day when you are preparing for a race, but I am telling you...those rest days are just as important as the training days. When you are training for anything, whether its a race, competition or try-out, your body goes through a lot of stress. Taking a day or so a week to just rest and let your body recover is so important for a sound training program, and lasting career and what ever sport you choose!


Be Easy on Yourself

     Like I said earlier, I'm not running this race for time, pace or place. I'm running it for the experience and for fun. For some, and for me too, that can be hard. Its hard not to want to beat your previous time, or place well. And its not bad to want that. I know that some day I will want to run a race for time or placing, but not this one. I don't think its a good idea to go into your first race, no matter how long, hoping to place really high.
    As long as you train well, treat your body right, and go into the race with the right attitude, you are going to have a good race!




     I cannot wait for race to be here, but I also am a bit nervous. No matter what happens, I want to have a good time and come away from the race even more in love with running!
  
                  I hope to write a post about my experience after the race, so stay tuned for that!
   
    If you are planning to run a race soon, good luck and have fun! If you are thinking of running a race, I encourage you to find one that speaks to you and train smart! If haven't even started running yet, lace up your running shoes and go for it....you won't regret it!

     Please share this post and my blog with your friends, running buddies and family! Spread the love of living a healthy life through food and fitness!

     Stay connected and follow the blog through email, Google and social media!

Instagram- That_Vegan_Runner

Twitter- SpinachisGood

Tumblr- justrunningforfood

Pinterest- SpinachisGood

I post every Friday!

Stay healthy, happy and laughing!

Hannah

No comments