21 Day Cleanse

Three weeks ago my sister and I decided to go on a 21 day cleanse. I had been wanting to do one for a while, and I was glad my sister wanted to join me! At first I thought 21 days was a long time, but as we got going with the cleanse, time flew by!
The Plan
So, how did we chose, out of tons of programs, which cleanse we were going to go on? I decided to combine a few of the programs I found, into one suited to our needs. The most inspiration came from the book Clean by Dr. Junger. I had done a shorter version of this cleanse before, so I was familiar with the program.
To sum it up, we cut out all processed foods, refined sugars, wheat, dairy products, soy products, corn products(all but a little fresh corn), deli meats, condiments, and stuck to a very fruit and vegetable based diet. We had at least two liquid meals a day, drank a lot of water, and practiced portion control.

Week 1
We started the cleanse on a Monday and by that next Thursday I was already seeing and feeling the effects! One of the first things I noticed was I wasn't bloated at all! I never realized how bloated I had been until then. My skin also started to clear and I was sleeping better at night.
There were, of course, struggles too. I couldn't have cream, so if I wanted coffee I had to drink it black. This has since become my preferred way to drink coffee. I also had to watch my family eat things I couldn't eat(but wanted to!). I was glad to have my sister there so we could keep each other on track!



Week 2
By week two I was feeling great and surprised at how fast the time had flown by! By this time we had had a birthday in the family as well as it being Easter Sunday, so we had 'cheated' a few times because of that. But, for the most part, we had stayed on track. I had already lost some weight and was feeling 'cleaner' (if that makes sense!)
Over Easter I made a few healthy things to keep my sister and I on track. First I made some healthy Carrot Cupcakes when my family had regular Carrot Cupcakes, and second I made my Honey Roasted Carrots which were amazing! I have to say, it wasn't as hard as I thought with healthy options  to chose over the 'unhealthy' ones!

Week 3
By this time we were counting the days to the end. When we could go back to a still healthy, but more normal diet! I have to say that by this last week by weight-loss stopped, but that's fairly normal for people who don't have a ton to lose anyway! My sister(who doesn't drink coffee black) was craving some coffee! We had another birthday in our family so we had to 'cheat' a little for that. Sadly the result of that was a stomach ache!
I was still feeling great and energized and 'clean' even if I didn't lose weight in the last week.

Results
The results of the cleanse were visual as well as nonvisual. I did lose weight, not a whole lot, but enough. In total I lost 5 pounds but, because of the strength training I added to my workout schedule ,I gained some muscle weight. Losing weight wasn't even half of it though! I felt so much better, my skin was clearer, I wasn't bloated, I slept better at night, and I had the satisfaction of knowing my body was healthier! Would I do it again? YES! I am already thinking of doing one later this summer, but let me enjoy my cheese, chocolate and biscuits first!

Main Diet
We had a few things that we ate a lot! Fruits and veggies had a place in every meal(which is something I will continue to do),  we made a lot of salads some with meat( normally grilled chicken) and some without and we got really creative with our smoothies. Thankfully we fixed a lot of 'cleanse approved' meals as a family.  A few things I learned to love were, black coffee, avocado( I put it in everything from smoothie to salad!), nuts(by themselves for a snack or in a smoothie.) and steamed broccoli!

I hope this post as given you a few ideas on what to expect, should you go on a cleanse yourself. This, of course, was my personally experience, and every one is different so your experience will more than likely be different that mine!
Please make sure that you are in a position health-wise to complete a cleanse, if you should chose to do a cleanse.

Please share this post with a friend and give the blog a follow. You can also follow the blog on Twitter @ SpinachisGood and on Pinterest @ Hannah Plunkett.

Keep healthy and SAFE
H.Banana



No comments