Oven Roasted Peppers and Onions

Bell Peppers and onions have become a staple in my house. I love to throw them in just about any thing! They are great sautéed for tacos or taco salad, on hamburgers, in quinoa.. the list goes on!
Another way bell peppers and onions are good is roasted in the oven. Roasting the veggies makes them soft yet crispy in places. These are a perfect side dish, topping for tacos, salads, fajitas, or mix in with rice or quinoa. The sweetness of the peppers and onions blend so well with the salt and pepper to make a simple, yet delicious dish!

So, lets get started making these Oven Roasted Peppers and Onions!

Ingredients:
3 Bell Peppers. Try and get each one a different color.
1 Large Onion (or 2 smaller ones)
4 TBS Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 400 F.
Cut up your Peppers and Onions. Last summer, when we went to Houston ,Texas and I went to a cooking class with my cousin. While there ,we learned basic knife skills. One of the most useful things I learned was, how to cut up a pepper without wasting too much of it. I want to share with you how I cut up my bell Peppers!

We buy our peppers at Costco in big bags because we use them so much. In each bag is two of each color( Yellow, Red, and Orange) except green. If you can, pick one of each for a great presentation!

Wash and dry your peppers and get a large cutting board ready. Begin by slicing off the top of the pepper.
If there are any seeds in the top, brush them out into a bowl or sink.

Then, slice down the sides, cutting along the white seed pocket in the center.


Keep going until you are left with four pepper sides, a top, and the seeds separated.


Dispose of the seeds and move on to the top of the pepper.
Cut along the green steam. You don't want to go to close, but don't waste a whole lot either!
 
Now that we have our peppers de-seeded we can move on to chopping them up. In this recipe you want to keep the pieces rather large.
Do the same with your onion. Sadly, I'm not the greatest at cutting up an onion so I won't show you that!
Throw the peppers and onions together in a baking pan. I am using a 9x13 to get a flatter layer of veggies, but use what ever you have handy!

Aren't the colors amazing? This is why I like to use all three colors instead of just one! It makes for a much prettier dish!

Sprinkle with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Stir well to cover each piece of veggies with oil and seasonings. Then, place in the oven for 30-45 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes. When they are done the peppers will be soft and the onions translucent and soft. The edges will have started to crisp and the smell will be amazing!
Let cool for a bit before serving!

I served these along side my Honey Roasted Carrots from my last post. If you won't to know how to make those too, check that post out!



Along side the spicy chicken, sweet carrots and fresh salad, the peppers and onions added a great flavor to our meal! They were a favorite of everyone!

I hope you will try these delicious oven roasted veggies. If you like it, please share it with a friend!

Keep healthy and Safe!
H.Banana

NOTE: Be careful when working with knives! I don't want anyone to get hurt!

Follow the blog on Twitter @ Spinachisgood and on Pinterest @ Hannah Plunkett

No comments