What to Do and Eat in Boston - Vegan and Kid Friendly

 


    Boston is a great city, full of amazing food, history, and so much more! Traveling as a vegan and with smaller children, it really makes you think about the places you eat and the things you do, to make sure they are a good fit for everyone in your group! Keep reading to learn what I ate and what we did as a vegan and family with young kids!



     You might have read my previous post on What to Do and Eat in Maine. On that same trip, we spent some time in Boston. We ate a lot of great food and did a lot of the more historical things in Boston, and we all loved it!

     Traveling as a vegan can seem difficult and frustrating, but it doesn't have to be. Do your research ahead of time and figure out where the vegan restaurants are, what you can eat at non-vegan restaurants and where the closest grocery store is to your location. Knowing these things will make it so much easier and enjoyable for both you and the people you are traveling with! Also, its not a bad idea to bring snacks with you. I always like to have a bar, dried fruit or nuts in my bag at all time, especially when I am traveling!


What We Ate in Boston

    When we travel, we like to use Yelp as a way to find places to eat that will suit everyone's needs and wants. You can even type in 'vegan' and it will pull up vegan restaurants and places with vegan options!


     The first place we ate was Souper Roll Up Cafe  right after we landed in Boston. It had several selections of sandwiches, wraps, soups and salads. I ordered the hummus wrap with no cheese and it was delicious! For our little guy ( he's 4 yrs )we ordered a grilled cheese and he loved it!


     That night we met a friend at Za for pizza and it was pretty delicious. I ordered a veggie pizza with no cheese and the waiter asked if I was a vegan or had a dairy allergy so they could make sure there was no contamination. I was very thankful for that because often they will use a cheesy-pizza cutter to slice my pizza and leave cheese behind! The whole family enjoyed the pizza and we left with very full bellies!

 
For lunch the next day we went to Bencotto . There were not a lot of vegan options, but I made do! I wasn't super hungry, so I ordered the bruschetta, which was delicious and light, just what I was wanting! They serve delicious homemade bread as well! Again, this was another place the whole family enjoyed!
 


     Next, we headed to Boston Market where we stopped at Taza for the best hot cocoa I've every had!!! They have a few different flavors and the option to make it with water, milk or almond milk. I ordered the orange flavor made with almond milk and my mind was blown!!! My little brother enjoyed the original with added whipped cream! They whole family was in love!

  
     Also at the Boston Market was an allergy-free bakery called Jennifer Lee's Gourmet Bakery. They are gluten, nut, dairy and egg free, meaning everything they make is vegan! I was so excited to find this place! They have lots of menu items, but I chose the Fruity Pebbles Donut and the Death By Chocolate Donut. Both we delicious and I wish I could have tried everything!!


     Another place we ate as was OliToki , which to me was like an Asian version of Chipotle. I ordered the bowl with the crispy tofu and it was delicious! A little on the spicy side, was still enjoyable! For the little guy we ordered a plain cheese quesadilla and he was super happy with it! It is a small place and you have to buy canned drinks, but other than that it was a 10/10 for us!

 
 
The last place I ate as was by Chloe.. It was a place I'd been wanting to go forever and I was thrilled to be able to go! Everything on the menu is vegan and plant-based as well as gluten-free options available on request. I ordered the GuacBurger , the Mac n' Cheese and the Raspberry Tiramisu Cupcake. Everything was amazing, my favorite being the mac n' cheese which was so creamy and delicious! If you follow the blog on Instagram, you will know how obsessed I was with all the food at by Chloe.
 
 
Okay, so that was everything we ate in Boston. We enjoyed every bite of what we had to eat and I really can't wait to go back to Boston, just for the food!
 
What We Did in Boston
 
     We mainly stuck to the historical things in Boston, as well as a few other things! We did a lot of walking, so when you visit Boston, throw in some walking shoes!
 
 
 
The very first thing we did was visit the Taza Factory, where the chocolate from the earlier-mentioned hot cocoa comes from! Its made in house and we did a factory tour and got to learn all about where the chocolate comes from, how its made and where they sell it. We also got to taste a lot of chocolate, which was amazing!!
 
 
We went and parked near Harvard and walked around the campus and nearby shops. We went into the Harvard Book Store and browsed their used-book section downstairs for a while. We all really enjoyed that!
 
 
They next day we went and walked around Quincy Market and saw lots of interesting shops, people and history! It was pretty crowded when we went, so defiantly make sure to keep track of everyone you are with so you don't lose anyone!
 
 
On our last day we did the Freedom Trail which takes you to places like Paul Revere's grave, the Christ Church, the first public school in America and a few of the other more significant historical places in Boston. We chose to walk and it really wasn't bad, but there is a trolley you can take to save from walking.
 
 
We walked by the 2017 Boston Marathon Finish Line ,which was so cool to see! It just made me want to work extra hard to qualify one year and be able to run in it!
 
 
Well, that's an overview of what we did and ate in Boston. We all really enjoyed our time in the city and would love to go back! Traveling with little kids or as a vegan can seem hard and daunting, but with a little planning ahead it can be a easy and fun experience!
 
 
 
I really hope you found this post interesting and helpful! I love to travel and eat delicious food and writing about it makes it even more fun! If you are traveling to Boston soon, I hope you will use this post to find new and exciting things to do!
 
Please share this post with your friends and family to help everyone travel successfully and happily and live their healthiest life!
 
Please follow the blog to stay up to date on the posts! You can follow via email, Google, and social media!
 
Instagram- That_Vegan_Runner
 
Pinterest- SpianchisGood/ Hannah Plunkett
 
Twitter- SpinachisGood
 
Tumblr- justrunningforfood
 
I post every Friday!!!
 
Stay happy, healthy and laughing!
 
~Hannah~


No comments