Healthy Homemade Bread

I love bread! I love all kinds of bread, but my favorite is the kind with a crunchy crust and soft insides! Whenever we make bread at home, it fills the house with a lovely smell, and I just can't wait for it to come out of the oven!
    Fall is here and we are already having some cooler weather, which has put me in the mood for some delicious homemade bread!


    This bread recipe is super simple, easy to make, and super healthy! I don't use any oil in making my bread, so its pretty much fat-free, and you can choose whether you add a sweetner or not to make it sugar-free!

     Another thing I love about making bread at home is that you can add whatever you want to it! I added herbs and oats to my bread today, but there are a million other things you can add! Here are a few of my favorites!

     Cinnamon and Maple Syrup

     Cinnamon and Raisins

     Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds and Cracked Wheat

     Herbs and Sundried Tomatoes


Ingredients:

1 cup Warm Water

2 tbs Dry Active Yeast

3 tbs Sweetener (optional)(I used Organic Raw Sugar here, but I also love to use Maple Syrup, or you can use Agave, Honey, or any other form of sweetner you like! )

2 cups Flour (I like to use a 1/2 and 1/2 ratio of whole wheat and white flour, but you can do all one or the other as well!)

2 tsp Salt

Flavoring of Choice (Here I used 1/3 cup crushed oats and 2 tbs of herbs)

     Start by adding your water, yeast and sugar to you mixing bowl. I suggest using a electric mixer for this! Mix your yeast and sugar into the water for a few seconds and then let it rest for a minute or two.



     Then, add in the flour, salt and flavorings. Make sure not to put the salt directly into the yeast mixture or it will kill the yeast. Once its mixed with the flour, its fine!

 
     Mix together until a dough ball has formed and the bowl of your mixer is fairly clean. You may need to add in extra flour.

 
     Knead the dough for 10 minutes in your mixer or 15 minutes by hand. Keep and eye on it, you might need more flour during the kneading process.

 
     After you have kneaded your dough, for it into a ball and allow it to rise for 30-35 minutes, or until it has doubled in size. It will rise better in a warm place, covered with a tea towel.


     Once it has risen, it's time to form your loaves. You can use bread pans, muffin tins, or do free-form as I did. I did two differnt loaves, one with herbs and oats and one with just oats. Make whatever shape you like, just remember they are going to rise again.


     Place themon a floured baking sheet or greased bread/muffin pan in your oven with the temps. set at the lowest setting. Mine goes down to 170 F. Let the bread rise for 25-30 minutes.


     If you want, you can take a sharp knife and gently make slices across the top, for a rustic look! Bake at 350 F for 24-30 minutes, or until the top goes golden brown and the bread comes off the pan easily.


     Allow them to cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and enjoying! Your house should smell amazing and you should feel all warm and cozy!


     I sliced mine for supper and ate it along with some delicious vegetable soup! It was the perfect fall supper!



     How ever you choose to enjoy your bread, and what ever you like to put in your bread, I know that you will love this recipe just as much as I do! I love the simplicity of the recipe and the deliciousness of the bread! I just know that, once you make it, you won't go back to store bought ever again! :)


     If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your friends and family memebers!

You can follow this blog via email, Google or social media to keep up-to date on all the posts!

Instagram- That_Vegan_Runner

Tumblr- justrunningonfood

Pinterest- Hannah Plunkett

Twitter- SpinachisGood

I post every Friday!

Stay Healthy, Happy and Laughing!
H. Banana

No comments