Zesty Greek Salad Dressing

     I love salad dressings! But unfortunately most salad dressings are very high in fat and calories! You can make a very low calorie salad into a high calorie meal with a single pour of salad dressing! Yes, they are delicious and, for those who don't like vegetables, it can help them get their greens in, but they aren't a healthy choice. Thankfully, there are many healthier choices that can keep your salad healthy!


One healthier option is this Zesty Greek Dressing! I made this to dress a quinoa salad a few days ago, but let me tell you! I could have drank this dressing from the jar( no kidding!). It was delicious on the quinoa salad, but it would also be great on a lettuce salad, as a veggie dip, heated and used as a pasta sauce, or over rice or other grains! So its versatile, vegan, oil and fat free, low calorie, and packed full of zesty and amazing flavor!

Ingredients:
1 can Diced Tomatoes( try for a low sodium brand)

2 TBS Greek Seasoning ( go for one that doesn't contain salt)

4 TBS Balsamic Vinegar

1/2 cup Water ( more or less depending on what consistency you want. Thicker for dips and sauces and thinner for dressings)

Salt and Pepper to taste

The reason I suggest using no or low salt ingredients is because it allows you to control the amount of salt in the dressing better. You would be surprised how much salt goes into store bought dressings! Making your own is a sure way to make sure what you are eating is truly good for you!

Simple ingredients right? The method is just as simple, so lets get started!

Add everything into a blender or food processor.


Blend well until everything is puréed and combined well. Taste and adjust seasoning to your preferred flavor. I made my dressing fairly thin for my quinoa salad, but I would love to make some thicker and use as pasta sauce!

Store any leftover dressing in the fridge in an high-tight container.

 
I used this dressing on a quinoa salad, so here is an overview of how I made it!
 
2 cups dry Quinoa cooked( I used 3 cups water and 1 cup lemon juice to cook my quinoa)
1 large Cucumber- peeled and diced
1-2 cups Cherry Tomatoes- cut in half
1 can Navy Beans- rinsed
 
I added everything to a large bowl( make sure the quinoa is cold!), and poured about a half a cup of the dressing on it. It was super delicious and fresh! A perfect recipe to start the New Year on the right(healthy) foot!
 
 
This recipe was really simple and yummy! I love how fresh  it taste, and with no added oil, its a great low calorie meal for any day! Another great thing is that this recipe makes a lot! Its great to store in the fridge for quick meals during the week!
 
 
I really hope you try this dressing recipe and see how you like to use it! It really is so simple that you can make it in no time and have it in your fridge for you to use on everything! Much better than those store bought dressings, though delicious, full of fat, oils, additives, chemicals and added sugars! Also, probably much cheaper! What more is there to love?



Both of these recipes are great low-fat vegan recipes, but that doesn't mean everyone can't make and enjoy them! They are perfect recipes to jump start your healthy resolutions for 2016!



I hope you enjoy this recipe post! Please share it with your friends and family to give them a great recipe to start their new year off right! Sharing is caring, so please share my blog as well! :)

You can follow the blog to stay up-to-date on the post! Follow via email, Google, Twitter @SpinachisGood, Tumblr @ justrunningforfood, and on Pinterest @ Hannah Plunkett. If you come and follow me on social media, please say high! :)

I post every Friday, so check back then for another post!

Keep Healthy and Safe!
H. Banana

No comments