Staying Healthy While Traveling

     My family and I have been doing some traveling lately, and there have been times when it has been hard to find healthy vegan food. Maybe some would say,  that on vacation you let your healthy diet slide a little, and I can agree with that to some point. Eating healthily makes me feel my best, and who doesn't want to feel their best on vacation or while traveling?


    
 
     Staying healthy while traveling doesn't mean you can't have a fun time. It means that, while you are relaxing, sightseeing or just hanging out on vacation, you can look and feel your best! Eating healthily on vacation or while traveling might take some planning, some prep, and some determination, but it is totally doable for everyone! There is no reason you should let your travel plans get in the way of your healthy lifestyle!


Prep Work!
 Whenever we go on vacation, I like to do a bit of prep before hand, so that I know I will have healthy snacks no matter what! My family and I like to pack nuts and dried fruit trail mixes, hummus and veggies, fresh fruit like apples, oranges and blueberries, and I usually throw in some almond milk  as well! I also like to make a few things to bring with me! On our last trip, I made Vegan Granola , and Brownie Batter Date Balls, and they were the perfect thing for a healthy snack, or breakfast if the place we were staying at didn't have a healthy option! You can make whatever you like to snack on and bring it with you! Granola bars, muffins, chia puddings and homemade hummus are just a few great options! Planning ahead and doing some prep work isn't hard, and it will help you stay healthy while you're away from home!

Eating at a Hotel
     Eating at a hotel can be a bit tricky, especially if you have an allergy or you have a specific diet. For me, finding a vegan option isn't always a walk in the park! Most hotels usually have oatmeal along with toppings like nuts and dried fruit. They also usually have some sort of fruit, whether its a cut up fruit salad or just apples, oranges and bananas. On our last trip, my go-to breakfast was oatmeal, nuts and dried fruit, cut-up banana and a splash of almond milk(that I had brought with me). Hotels might also have some cereal, toast, muffins, pancakes, yogurts and fruit juices. Few of these options are healthy, let alone, vegan, so I usually avoid those foods. I do, on occasion, go for a cereal (that I know it vegan) and some almond milk. I also try to eat a lot of fresh fruit for breakfast. This not only starts by day off right and helps me to hydrate, but it also insures that I do get some fruit in, if I don't have the option to later in the day. I also have black coffee every  morning and most hotels provide that! Starting your day off right is so important, and you shouldn't give that up just because you aren't at home!


Eating Out
Restaurants are also tricky, but there is usually at least one healthy option on the menu. As a vegan, it can be extra tricky to find a healthy and substantial meal at a restaurant, but I have developed a few tricks! I usually scan the menu and look at all the options. Some times there is a great option in the appetizer section like guacamole, salsa and hummus can be found on a lot of menus. Salads can also be a good choice, just make sure they are loaded with cheese, fatty dressings, croutons, bacon or other unhealthy toppings. If salad is the only option, I always ask for the dressing on the side ( go for a vinaigrette) and ask for no cheese and not meat/eggs. Sometimes there are veggie sandwiches, veggie burgers, or baked potatoes on the menu. My favorite of those three would be the potato, and it is also the healthiest option. The sandwich or burger is also an okay option, just ask for no cheese and mayo. Another thing that can be healthy are pizzas. If you order a pizza with no cheese and no meat, it is a very healthy option! Just ask to load up the pizza with veggies and you have a winner! At Mexican restaurants you can easily order veggie fajitas and eat it like a salad on a bed of lettuce or like a burrito bowl over rice. Tortillas are okay, but not the healthiest choice. Also, stay away from fried tortilla chips as they are vey high in fat! Pastas might not be the healthiest, but if you find yourself in that situation, there are some healthier options. Pasta with marinara sauce and veggies can usually be ordered, even if its not on the menu. If there is absolutely nothing on the menu that is healthy, I just go for whatever is vegan or vegan friendly!

Snacking
If you have brought your own snacks, this shouldn't be such a problem. Just back yourself a backpack with snacks and water bottles and you are good to go! If you haven't brought snacks with you, don't lose hope! You can usually find fruit, trail mixes, and dried fruit at gas stations, drug stores or grocer stores that are quick and easy to grab. Juices and smoothies can usually be found at gas stations, coffee shops, and drug stores. Whether they are homemade or packaged, just make sure they aren't made with dairy products and added sugars! You can also grab snacks at your hotel's sundry shop if you get desperate! No matter where you are and what you are doing while traveling, having good snacks on hand is always a good idea! I would always go for the homemade option first, but you can easily find snacks out and about too!


Hydration
Drinking water is important whether you are traveling or not! Planes are especially dehydrating, so you want to make sure and drink lots of water before, during and after your flight. Walking around sight seeing or shopping can get you dehydrated pretty quickly too! No matter what you are doing while traveling, staying hydrated is key! I usually travel with a reusable water bottle that I can refill whenever I need too!


Exercise
Staying active while on vacation or traveling can be pretty tough. Not only is it hard to find a place to workout, you don't always want to exercise! If you are walking around sightseeing or shopping, or spending time swimming, hiking, canoeing, or doing other active activities, you don't need to worry about finding time to workout! But, if you are sitting in meetings, riding in a car, plane or train, enjoying time in the spa or laying out by the pool all day, you probably should find time to get your body moving. A lot of hotels have workout rooms that you can use. Just a simple, 30 minute workout can make all the difference in how you feel the rest of your day!

Traveling isn't always easy on our healthy lifestyle, but with some planning, dedication and will powder, you can stay healthy while you are away from home! I hope these tips will help you the next time you are away from home!


I hope this post has been helpful to you! Please share it with your friends and family to help others live a healthy lifestyle!

You can follow me via email, Google, Twitter @ SpinachisGood, Tumblr @ justrunningforfood, Instagram @ That_Vegan_Runner and on Pinterest @ Hannah Plunkett!

I post every Friday!

Stay Healthy, Happy and Laughing!
H. Banana

No comments