Vegan Camping

     Last weekend my family and I went to Fall Creek Falls State Park and camped for two nights. We had lots of fun camping, hiking, and spending time in the great outdoors!



     Whenever we go camping, my Dad is in charge of the food, packing and planning of the whole trip! He always does a great job and we always have a good time!

     We got to the park in the afternoon and found our camp site pretty easily. The camp sites were a bit smaller and closer together than we had thought, but fairly flat, which was nice! We all helped set up the tents and my Dad got a fire started!
     Then we got busy helping my Dad make supper. He cooked some pre-made bbq on a portable stove and we wrapped russet potatoes in tinfoil and placed them in the fire to cook on the coals. They don't take very long, and fire-cooked potatoes are so much better than oven cooked ones! I ate my potato with some sauteed veggies, cooked on the portable stove! It was delicious!
     Then, for dessert, my Dad made a dutch oven pie and I made something just as delicious, but vegan. I made a campfire cooked, chocolate stuffed banana! Yes, it is just as amazing as it sounds! Here is how I made it!....

 
Chocolate Stuffed Campfire Banana


Ingredients:
Banana
Chocolate Chips (Dairy Free)
Optional Extras- Raisins, Maple Syrup, Nut Butter, or Cinnamon

     First, peel your banana and use a knife to slice down the middle. Try not to cut all the way through the banana. Then, place it on a sheet of tinfoil ( double it over to make it twice as thick) and stuff it with your chocolate chips. The first night I did just chocolate chips, which was amazing, and the second night I added raisins and maple syrup. Both were delicious!

 
 Wrap the tin foil around the banana.
 
 
Place you banana on the coals of your fire. Depending on how hot your fire is, your banana should take between 15 and 25 minutes to become soft, gooey and warm!

 
When it is done, you will have a delicious, healthy vegan camping dessert! I ate mine with a spoon straight out of the tinfoil, but I think it would be great with some vegan ice cream or some fresh berries on top!
 
 

    That first night camping, we didn't get much sleep. It rained off and on all night, which kept all of us but my little brother up! Thankfully, my Dad was quick to get the coffee going the next morning! One of my favorite things about camping is waking up in the morning to hot coffee around the fire!


     Then my Dad got going on breakfast while us females got ready for the day! The campsite had pretty nice bathrooms and showers that weren't too far from our campsite!
   For breakfast that day, my Dad made pancakes for everyone, and for me, he made some roasted potatoes! I ate them with some orange juice and mango!
After breakfast we went hiking through the park! We saw a beautiful water fall and some amazing views!

 
 
There was a pretty cool swinging rope bridge that we walked over!
 
We had to hurry back to our campsite before it started raining again! My Dad had brought an covering to go over the picnic table, so we were able to stay under that to make our lunch.
    Dad cooked burgers for everyone and I sauteed some of the leftover potatoes from our supper the night before. I ate them with some bbq sauce and it was really delicious!
Then we had to huddle into our tents and wait out a rainstorm! Thankfully our tent was water tight! After the storm, we went to the park's general store and looked around there. Then we went to the park's Inn and checked that out.
We came back to the campsite to get started on our supper! I made a sweet potato and veggie hash and my family had a chicken potpie. For dessert, I made another roasted banana and had a few oreos( which are vegan by the way!).
Then we sat around the fire and my Dad told ghost stories! Unfortuantly, around dusk, several groups of college kids showed up. They didn't settle down until well after midnight, making for another restless night.  But, once again, my Dad had the coffee ready in the morning for us!
We did pretty much the same thing as the morning before for breakfast. I also had brought some pineapple, which was super yummy!
 Since it was our last day, we packed up our tent and camping gear before heading out on another hike. It was a bit crowded, but still pretty cool! We went to the Falls, which the park is named for.
 
 
     The hike was tough at times, but my three year old little brother was able to do the whole thing and was very happy about it! :)



    After our hike, we were all pretty tired, so we headed out of the park and on home. We all had a wonderful time, even if we didn't get much sleep! If I have any advice to anyone going camping at Fall Creek Falls,it would be- don't go on the weekends, and check the weather before planning your trip!

     This was my first time camping as a vegan, and I didn't feel deprived at all! Yes, I might have eaten alot of potatoes, but that really was my own choice! I really love potatoes! And I also found delicious ways to replace the food that my family was eating! Those banana desserts are really to die for!

I hope you enjoy this post! Maybe you can gain some camping tips from it, and some great ways to eat Vegan while camping and still eat great food!

Please share this post and my blog with your friends and family!

You can follow the blog via email, Google, Twitter @ SpinachisGood, Tumblr @ justrunningforfood, and on Pinterest @ Hannah Plunkett.

I post every Friday!

Stay Healthy, Happy and Laughing!

H. Banana

No comments