How-To: Burrito Bowls

I love mexican food and I love burrito bowls! Whenever I can, I always order a burrito bowl, and when I can't, I make it at home. My family probaly could live off of mexican food, and usually we do! We have tacos, fajitas or burrito bowls at least twice a week! They are so easy to make and put together and are so tasty, you won't be craving the fast-food version anymore! Also, this home-made version if much healthier because it is lower in sodium, added fats and sugars!


There are a few basic ingredients for a burriot bowl. Rice, Beans, and Vegetables. If you are into it, meat or other types of proteins can be added to this list. They way each of these items are prepared has a great impack on what the final products taste like!

Rice
2 cups Brown Rice
4 cups Water
1 cup Salsa of Choice( it went with a Salsa Verde, but any kind will do)
Salt and Pepper.

I used a rice-cooker to cook my rice. I just added everything to the cooker, gave it a stir and let the machine do its job. You can also cook the rice on the stove. Just bring the water to a bowl and add in the rice, salt and pepper and salsa. Bring to a simmer, put on the lid and cook until all the water has been absorbed. Then, turn the heat off and leave the lid on for at least another 5 minutes to allow the rice to steam a bit.



Beans
2 cans Black Beans ( Brown would also work)
Salt and Pepper
 Mexican or Taco Seasoning

Rinse and drain your beans very well. I used a micorwave to save time, but you could also use the stove top. Add the beans to a container and mix in the salt, pepper and seasonings. Then heat in desired method.

 
Vegetables
       'Grilled Veggies'
1 large Yellow Onion- chopped
2 Bell Peppers- chopped
2 TBS minced Garlic
Salt and Pepper
2 tsp Garlic Powder

Add the chopped veggies, garlic, and seasonings to a pan. I didn't use any oil, but you could if you wanted to. Cook until the veggies have softened.

 
 
   Corn
2 cans Corn
Salt and Pepper
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Chili Powder
 
Rinse and drain your canned corn and add them to a container or pan. You can use the stove if you wish, but I used to microwave this time. Stir in the spices and heat. I have found that 3 minutes in the microwave is perfect!
 
 
 

Toppings
 
I have a great recipe for Pico de Gallo here.
 
 
 
Guacamole is another must-have topping for burrito bowls. My recipe is here.
 
 
 
Salsa, Chopped fresh tomatoes, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice are all great toppings to have on a burrito bowl. You could also add sour cream and cheese if you like.
 
Now, lets build a burrito bowl! I like to start with the basics. I add my rice, beans and corn down first.
 
 
 
Next I add the grilled veggies, pico de gallo, guacamole, fresh tomatoes, salsa and cilantro. You can pick and choose your favorites, or just add all of them like I did! And guess what? guacamole isn't extra when you make it yourself!
 

 
Looks delicious doesn't it? This would also be yummy on a bed of lettuce or wrapped in a tortilla. Also, torilla chips and extra quacamole are never a bad idea!
 
 


I hope you give this super easy dinner idea a try! Burrito bowls are so easy to make and serve to a few or many!Also, they are so healthy because they are full of spice, veggies and grains! Play with the spices and ingredients and make your own specail flavors that you love!

Please share this recipe and my blog with your friends and family! Show every one that healthy-living can be easy!

You can follow the blog via email, Google, Twitter @ SpinachisGood, Tumblr @ justrunningforfood and on Pinterest @ Hannah Plunkett.

I post every Friday!

Stay Happy, Healthy and Laughing!

H. Banana

1 comment

  1. Oh I love burrito bowls!!!! And I too love Mexican food. When I was growing up my Mom had a pot of pinto beans with just about every meal - living in New Mexico close to the Mexico border we ate Mexican food ALL THE TIME! As a result it is my comfort food for sure! Loved this post... thinking I'm going to fix Burrito Bowls for supper soon. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete