5 Tips for Running Outside in Cold Weather

     December is here and with it comes colder and colder days. Those cold days are wonderful for curling up beside the fire and drinking coffee, tea or hot cocoa with a good book, project or phone call! What those colds days aren't good for is exercise.




    As the weather gets colder, the days get shorter and the holidays get closer, it can be harder and harder to find time or the desire to get outside and get moving! Not only is exercise important, but spending time outside everyday is wonderful for your physical and mental health! Ever since our treadmill broke ( after 7 years running strong) I have taken my running outside. During the fall it was glorious, with perfect weather and the colors changing every day! But, now that winter is very much here, it is harder to enjoy my runs! The temps. are sometimes in the 20's and often it is drizzling rain! So, what do I do? Did I quit running? Never! I simply learned to run in whatever conditions the day presented me with!


Tips for Running Outside in Winter Weather

#1 Wear Layers
     My very first cold run wasn't super fun, but I did learn a few things from it! It is very important to wear thin layers on your run instead of one or two thick layers. That way, as you warm up, you can slowly peel away the layers and not get too cold too soon. If you are wearing two thick layers and you become warm, you have two options-either be too warm or too cold. With multiple thin layers, its easier to stay comfortable!
     Depending on the weather, I usually wear a pair of running pants with some leggings underneath and some knee length socks. I wear a long-sleeved running shirt, a pullover and a light jacket and, if the weather is cold enough, a neck warmer, gloves and an ear warmer. I get cold easily, so this is just perfect for me, but you might not need as much or you might need more! The only way to find out is to experiment and find what works for you!


#2 Moisturize!
     I cannot stress this enough! Being outside in the cold weather is very drying to your skin, and it can become very painful if you don't protect against it! On my first really cold runs this year, I had very chapped cheeks and cracked lips, which were both very painful! Now, I use a moisturizer on my face before and after my run and I apply chap stick several times before, during and after my run. If I am not wearing gloves, I apply the same lotion as my face to my hands to ensure they don't become chapped. We all want to have nice skin, lips and hands all year round, so taking care of them during the winter is a must-do!

#3 Plan Your Run
    Running in the winter months(or anytime) takes a bit of planning. You have to take in account the temperatures, weather conditions and daylight hours. I am a morning runner, so I have to be aware of when the sun will rise, so that I am not running in complete darkness. If you run in the evenings, you need to know when the sun is going to set. You also need to know the weather conditions so that you aren't caught by rain, snow, ice or fog. Running in these conditions can be dangerous and its best to avoid them. Check the weather the day before you plan to run and at least can hour before you head out to run to make sure you are prepared! Knowing what the temperature will be for you run is important as well. It helps you know how to dress. Being aware of all these things helps you have a safer and more enjoyable run every time, all year long!

#4 Hydrate!
     You might not realize it, but even if you are freezing, you can still be sweating. A lot of people tend to become dehydrated during exercises in the winter because they don't feel thirsty or warm. When you workout in the winter, whether you are running outside or working out inside, you are still loosing water through sweat and you still need to drink lots of water, even if you don't feel like it! Being dehydrated can lead to fatigue, dry skin, weight gain and headaches as well as a long list of other symptoms. Stay feeling great all winter long by making sure to drink plenty of water all day long, especially on days that you exercise!

#5 Stay Motivated!
     When its cold and dreary outside, the last thing you probably want to do is go out for a run. I understand, I feel that way sometimes too, but it is so important that you just do it! Running, or any form of exercise is so beneficial for beating the winter blues and putting you in a good mood! No one feels like being festive when your gloomy or lethargic because of the weather. Getting outside and going for a run is the best way to cure that!
    Make your runs fun! Challenge a friend, find a running buddy, or find a really great podcast to listen to on your run. There are so many ways to motivate yourself to get out there and run, you just have to find what works best for you! For me, I have several podcast that I only listen to when I run, so I have something to look forward to every time!

 
     I hope this post encourages and helps you get out the door and on a run this winter! Anyone who runs knows that going on a run is one of the best things in the world, and no one wants to give that up just because its cold outside! I hope these tips are just as useful to you as they have been to me! Happy Running!

Please share this post and my blog with your friends and family to help everyone live a healthy life!

You can follow this blog via email, Google and social media!

Instagram- That_Vegan_Runner
Twitter- SpinachisGood
Pinterest- Hannah Plunkett
Tumblr- justrunningforfood

I post every Friday!

Stay healthy, happy and laughing!
Happy Holidays!
-Hannah

No comments