White Bean and Kale Soup Recipe

     Cooler weather calls for warmer meals, and that is just one of the many reasons why I love fall! I love being able to cuddle up in a blanket, drinking coffee and reading....Watching the leaves fall outside in the crisp air and being warm and cozy inside! With the weather (finally) cooling off here, I am getting excited about making more warm and cozy meals like this soup recipe I am sharing today!

 
     I haven't always been a fan of vegetable soups, especially ones with kale in them, but as I have grown, but taste buds have matured! Now I love all kind of soups with all kinds of vegetables( including kale!).  Soups are perfect for easy dinner ideas, healthy meals and they even make delicious lunches! Whenever and however you choose to eat soup, I know you will enjoy this recipe!


      This soup is vegan, dairy-free, oil-free and gluten-free! Its super simple and yet so full of flavor and textures! Make this soup on those chilly fall evenings and serve it with some fresh homemade bread!

Ingredients:

1 Yellow Onion- Diced

1 cup Chopped Carrots

1 TBS Garlic- minced

1 1/3 cup Quinoa

1 can Diced Tomatoes

2 cans White Northen Beans

9 cups Veggie Broth

2 cups Chopped Kale

2 tsp Oregano

1 tsp Thyme

1 tsp Parsley

1 tsp Ground Mustard

Salt

Pepper


     First, get all the veggies chopped. Heat up a pot on the stove and add in the onions. I prefer to do this without any oil, but you can add some in if you wish. Cook until the onions begin to soften.



Next, add in the carrots and garlic. Saute for about a minute before adding in the seasonings.


(Sorry for the picture quality! My camera  was getting foggy from the steam!)

     Saute the seasonings for a few seconds before adding in the quinoa, tomatoes and beans. MAKE SURE TO DRAIN AND RINSE YOUR BEANS. It makes a huge differnce in the taste of the soup as well as your digestion later!


     Cook to warm everything through and then add in the broth. I added all but 1 cup of the veggie broth at first and reserved the last cup for the end. Bring the broth to a boil , add in the kale and reduce to a simmer.


     Cook for 25-30 minutes at a simmer or until the quinoa is fully cooked. The quinoa will absorb quite a bit of the broth, so you might want to add more broth at the end( I added my reserved 1 cup).

 
     Isn't it pretty? Its so colorful looking! You can serve the soup right away, or let it cool down and put it in the fridge of a few days or even freeze it for a few months! Its never a bad idea to have soup in the freezer for those days when you don't feel like cooking!



We ate the soup right away with some delicious bread! It would also be great with some crackers or cornbread! I loved this white bean and kale soup and so did my family! Its perfect for families because it is easy to make, full of fiber and veggies and taste amazing!


     I hope you try out this recipe and that you love it as much as I did! I really cannot wait to make it again! This is a great recipe to share with you friends and family, so pass it along so that everyone can have a delicious soup recipe this Fall!

I am on most social media sites and I would love to connect with you on one or all of them! Please follow the blog via email and Google as well as on social media!

Twitter- SpinachisGood

Instagram- That_Vegan_Runner

Tumblr- justrunningforfood

Pinterest- Hannah Plunkett

I post every Friday, so check back every week for a new post!

Stay healthy, happy and laughing!

Hannah

No comments